The Holbrook Public Library was created by an endowment from Elisha Niles Holbrook at the incorporation of the town in 1872. The original library was located in the town hall, where Zenas Aaron French served as the first librarian from the opening of the library in 1874 until 1920.
The present library was built on property donated to the town by Linda M. French in memory of her father, Zenas. The new building was opened in 1967. The children of the town helped to move the collection by forming a human chain across Holbrook Square and passed the books to their new location.